Sunday, April 14, 2013

Unexpected

I want to make sure I don't forget the journal part of art journal, and I completely do that a lot of the time.  I get caught up in the pretty or the practice of the art and totally forget to put something about myself in the page.  I'm working on it.

This page has been in my head for a long time, and yesterday it finally managed to escape:


There are certain things in life that I don't ever want to forget, and this page represents one of those things.  It's a rough sketch of one of the best memories I have.  I don't care who you are, but you've either had or one day will have a similar memory: the kiss.  Not your first kiss, although you'll probably remember that too...my first real kiss was when I was 16 or 17...I was a late bloomer...  The boy's name was Davie, and all I remember was that he was nice to me.  And the fact that, when he put his tongue in my mouth, I pulled back and shrieked: "I don't know how to do that!"...  Yes, I am forever awkward...  

But I'm not talking about your first (awkward) kiss.  And I'm not talking about the wedding kiss in front of a bunch of other people, making you feel like all your family and friends are a bunch of lechers and you just didn't know it.  

This is about the best kiss you've ever kissed.  The kiss by which all other kisses will be measured.  The kiss no other kiss will ever live up to.  The kiss you will think of on your death bed, when you look back on your life and remember that day and you will know that you were good and truly kissed.  

This page represents that kiss for me.  This is my memory of THE KISS.  

I'm so happy with this page, not because of the art, because I think I've done better.  The lines are off and the coloring is mediocre.  But I love this page because it really represents me and something that happened in my life that shaped who I am.  I got the journaling part of art journal right on the nose at last!  It makes me smile every time I look at it for what it represents.  And maybe in the end, that's what good art should do.  It's not necessarily what's on the page that matters, it's what the page evokes; it's what the piece makes you feel that matters.  It's always the thought that counts. 

10 comments:

  1. Wow... just wow...What you wrote is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Boo! I have been working on something special today too, and it's all because of you! I'm almost done with it! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautifully said!! I've been thinking about that lately too...the art is about the feelings/memories it evokes! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia! I think it really is true that art is more about what your mental and emotional response to the piece is than what's actually on the page. I think it's one of the best things about art, and why so many different styles and themes are out there, because we all see things so differently. It definitely keeps things interesting!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I love that kind of kiss... the kiss by which all other kisses are measured!! Beautiful job, as always!!! Hugs, pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my Pam! This will always be THAT kiss for me, and the man who kissed me that day will always be the one no other man will ever be able to compare to. I miss his stupid face so much!

      Delete
  4. You've written that beautifully Sweetred! What a beautiful memory you've captured. It's such a special moment! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! It makes me so happy to look at this page! I hope reading this post or looking at the page will call to mind good memories for other people too!

      And thank you so much for thinking of me on your linky love post! It made me feel very special indeed! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks Wendy! You are right, it is kind of pop art...I didn't notice that before...I just thought it was a mediocre sketch... I like your view much better! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!